You will be picked up at the Marrakesh airport by our team and transferred to your Riad or hotel in a mini bus. During your first dinner in Morocco, you can take the opportunity to get to know your fellow team mate. Every evening during your stay, you are offered a briefing for the following day to ensure you are well prepared.
After breakfast, we will drive to Ouarzazate, the Door of South Morocco, via Tichka Pass (2260m). We will take a lunch stop at Ouarzazate, then continue to the amazing Saghrou Mountain semi-desert scenery, with black volcanic rocks, wide open spaces and vast horizons.
Bird watchers love the area with larks, birds of prey and wheat ears predominating. We may also pass a few nomads on the way camping with their animals. En route you may wish to purchase a Shashe (traditional Moroccan head wear) to protect you from the sun. Arriving at Tagdilte to our Gite (guest house), you have time to relax and refresh and enjoy a traditional Moroccan dinner.
After breakfast, we start trekking across the Djebel Saghrou, enjoying an immense scenic view on a uphill and downhill trek.
This is about a six-hour trek of ascents and descents. We will take regular breaks arriving at Almou-n-Oughioul, our first camp site. As throughout the tour, the site is set up for guests with sleeping tents, WC and a large lounge for dining and relaxation.
After breakfast, we start trekking with a steady climb to the top of the Kouaouch mountain (2600m), highest point in our trek).
Enjoying the last glances of the often snow- covered high Atlas peaks to the North, we head to the heart of the semi desert Saghrou. A long descent will lead us to the camp at Igli (1550m), dominated by the impressive Tasgdalt flat top mountain, (1,700 m).
This trek is about 5 hours walking with lots of breaks and picnic lunch along the way. We arrive at our next destination, the Igli Camp before having dinner and a well-earned rest.
After breakfast, we start trekking into the valley of Afourar, passing through picturesque gorges. As we come out of the valley to Ousdidene, the scenery changes into an open landscape with spectacular and mystical rock pillars of Bab n’Ali (1400m) and some impressive mesas (flat mountain tops).
We enjoy a picnic stop at the end of the gorges and then continue on the way arriving at camp at Bab N’Ali. Free time to rest and take photos (1500m).
After breakfast, we follow a winding route which reveal the breathtaking scenery of the circus of Tadoaut n’Tablah – The Forest of Pitons. With short breaks for rest along the way, we arrive at our last stage of the trek at the large settlement of Ighazioun n’Imlass located at a junction between two beautiful valleys. Enjoy a well-earned lunch and congratulate yourself on completion of the challenge. Relax prior to dinner.
We drive back by mini bus to our riad or hotel in Marrakesh. Free time to refresh, relax, or take a swim. Optional dinner at a central Medina restaurant.
Day 8: Departure Day
Free day to explore. Please ensure you are at the hotel three hours prior to your flight departure for our airport transfer.
- Saghrou Mountains – A centre-based trek in volcanic mountain Region.
- Enjoy the stars gasing for 6 nights, and sleep in a tents
- You’ll meet and have tea with Ait Atta nomads living in this harsh and remote landscape
- Meet the local Berber people, enjoy their warm hospitality and learn about their traditions.
- Unforgettable moods, diverse impressions and experiences
This volcanic mountain region does not experience true winter snows like the High Atlas, making it perfect for winter hiking. The Saghro is situated between the High Atlas mountains and the Sahara desert and makes a nice link to also camel trek overnight and explore the Erg Chebbi dunes near Merzouga.
You’ll completely traverse the Saghro Massif on foot, ending your last day on the remote Sahara side. High uplands and volcanic monoliths resemble the U.S. southwest with soaring mesas, sparse vegetated plateaus, hidden springs and canyon oasis where you can freely ramble. You’ll meet and have tea with Ait Atta nomads living in this harsh and remote landscape.
Jackal, fox, wolf, toads, frogs, wild sheep, gazelle, vulture, Buzzard and the rare Bonelli-eagle survive here. Trees include date palms, acacia, tamarisk and Oleander.
Tour Type: Big Group
- Duration: 8 Days
- Period: Mach to November
- Level: Medium
- Accommodation: 2 nights Standar 1 night in guest house, and 5 nights Camping
- Meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners
- Start Point: Marrakech
- End Point: Marrakech
- Altitude on Trek (m): 2200 m
- Transport: Minibus or 4×4 and mules for the luggage
What the Price does not Include:
- tips for porters, guides and other staff
- bar bills, drinks with meals, hotel refreshments
- meals other than those specified in the relevant trip dossier,
- entrance charges to some historical sites, certain national park and peak fees
- travel insurance
- personal clothing and equipment
What the Price Includes:
- Transport (4×4, minibus)
- Airport transfers at the beginning and end of a trip
- Accommodation (hotel, riads, mountain refuge, local guesthouse or camping)
- If you would like to book your own hotel or riad room, we can adjust the price of the tour. Please contact us for more details.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Experienced local leader(s)
- Local crew of drivers, cooks, porters and other appropriate staff